Teach in a U.S. School

  • Calling all talented teachers! Take your career to the next level by teaching in the US

  • Overview

    Greenheart Exchange’s Teach USA program connects enthusiastic, highly-qualified international teachers with American schools through our commitment to promoting cultural understanding and public diplomacy. Our primary goal is to facilitate an exceptional professional exchange program for educators from all around the world to share their knowledge and experience in the U.S. This program spreads cultural understanding in a classroom setting, giving K-12 students and faculty in America a first-hand opportunity to learn more about the world from their teacher.

    Through travel and cultural exchange, we help individuals reach their full potential, leading to a more tolerant, peaceful and environmentally sustainable world.

    If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us at [email protected]

  • Our Program

    The primary purpose of the Teach USA program is to promote interaction between U.S. and foreign teachers and to enhance mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and other countries. The teachers who participate in this exchange program are able to sharpen their professional skills and take part in cross-cultural activities within their schools and local communities. They return home to share experiences and increased knowledge of the U.S. and its educational system. Participating teachers are placed in a K-12 school for 1-3 years. Most J-1 teachers instruct in world languages, science, math, and special education, however, placements in other subjects are available.

    Greenheart Exchange provides two program options to match teachers with schools:

    • Self-placed: placements are arranged directly between the J-1 teacher and the school, supplemented by Greenheart Exchange’s sponsorship and monitoring
    • Full Program: placements are facilitated by Greenheart Exchange Teach USA, matching host schools with a qualified, experienced J-1 teacher
  • Eligibility

    Participants will be selected based on the following criteria:

    • The teacher has, at a minimum, a degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree in either education or the academic subject field in which he or she intends to teach
    • The teacher has a minimum of 2 years teaching experience (or, in some cases, related professional experience)
    • The teacher satisfies the teaching eligibility standards of the U.S. state in which he or she will teach, including any required criminal background checks
    • The teacher is of good reputation and character
    • The teacher agrees to come to the United States temporarily as a full-time teacher of record in an accredited primary or secondary school and has experience in a classroom, as outlined in the next section
    • The teacher must possess sufficient proficiency in English. Teachers will be interviewed in English to assess verbal ability and comprehension.

    In addition to the requirements outlined above, the participant must be one of the following:

    • Applicants currently working as a teacher:
      • Must meet the qualifications for teaching at the primary or secondary levels in schools in his or her home country (including pre-kindergarten)
      • Must be working as a teacher in his or her home country at the time of application
      • Must have at least two years of full-time teaching experience
    • Applicants not currently working as a teacher:
      • Must meet the qualifications for teaching at the primary or secondary levels in schools in his or her home country (including pre-kindergarten)
      • Must have had at least two years of full-time teaching experience within the past eight years
      • Must have completed an advanced degree within 12 months of his or her application submission date for the program (Note: The degree must be more advanced than the U.S. bachelor’s degree. The subject of the degree must be in education or in an academic subject matter that he or she intends to teach or directly related to his or her teaching subject field)

    If you have any questions feel free to contact us at [email protected].

  • Fees

    Program fees include the following:

    • Greenheart Exchange Teach USA application fee
    • Sending partner’s administrative fee (if applicable)
    • Greenheart Exchange Teach USA administrative fee (varies dependent upon program type)
    • Placement in and supervision of a screened Host School
    • DS-2019 form to assist in obtaining the J-1 Teach visa
    • 24-hour support by the Greenheart Exchange National Office
    • Orientation prior to departure provided by the sponsor and another orientation shortly after arrival in the U.S. provided by the host school
    • Greenheart Exchange Emergency Medical Insurance for their first 90 days in the United States, until participants have been placed on their host school’s insurance plan
    • Assistance in securing and approving the Job Offer Letter (full-placed option only)

    What’s not included:

    • J-1 Visa Extension fee
    • Extension of Greenheart Exchange Medical Emergency Insurance (optional past first 90 days)
    • Air fare: depending on the participants’ country of origin to teaching destination, this can

    range anywhere from $500-$1500 or more

    • SEVIS fee: $180
    • Visa interview fee (paid to local US consular section), typically $160
    • Participants will be expected to have at least $2,500 upon arrival to cover deposits and living expenses until the first paycheck
    • J-2 Dependent visa fee
    • Host state teaching accreditation/certification and foreign credential evaluation (FCE): approximately $60-100

    Costs incurred on program:

    • Housing: variable depending upon placement location (in some cases, housing leads will be provided by the host school)
    • Meals: approximately $300/month
    • Spending money: approximately $200/month (ex: entertainment, personal expenses)
    • Public transportation to and from teaching site: approximately $150/month
    • The host school may require participants to purchase a car

    Note: Cancellation fees will apply if a participant needs to withdraw from the program.

  • Deadlines

    2018-19 School Year Application Deadline: June 16th*

    The typical U.S. school year begins in August or September. We require that prospective teachers submit their application between April – June 16th to ensure we have enough time to process applications. The earlier the application is submitted, the sooner Teach USA can place the teacher. In the “Application Checklist” section, you will find all of the documents required for submission by the application deadline.

    If you have any questions about the process, don’t hesitate to reach out us at [email protected]

    * Visa interview scheduling is the responsibility of the applicant; applicants must ensure that they budget enough time to secure a visa prior to arrival.

  • Application Checklist

    There are a number of items you will need to complete your application. Below you will find a helpful checklist of all the documents that are required to submit the online application. If you have any questions about the necessary documents, please email us at [email protected]

    Application Checklist:

    □ Complete Teach USA Application

    □ Copy of Passport, including prior visas to the United States

    □ Teach USA Resume Form

    □ Photo (Please upload a passport sized photo upon application)

    □ Two (2) reference letters written within the last 12 months, these letters must confirm at least 2 years of work experience from Primary or Secondary education, outside the U.S.:

    □ 1 from a post-degree full time school on the school’s letterhead

    □ 1 from a colleague (teacher) on letterhead or be included with the recommender’s business card

    □ Proof of a degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree in either education or the academic subject field in which you intend to teach (photocopy attachment)

    □ Proof of qualification to teach at the primary or secondary levels in school in your home country:

    □ Licensure and/or Teacher Certificate (from home country) in your native language and with an English translation (photocopy attachment)

    □ Signed Terms and Conditions

    □ Financial Resources Verification (FRV) form: proof of sufficient finances for living and housing expenses

    □ If Full Program option, counter-signed job offer letter received by Greenheart Exchange no more than 7 days after placement is sent

    *Self-Placed Program Option only: For participants that have found their own placement, in addition to the documents above, they must also provide at the time of application:

    □ Signed Offer Letter

    □ Brochures/marketing materials if host school does not have an active website along with contact information

    □ Copy of host school medical insurance coverage, including the name and contact information of the insurance company, the policy number, name and contact information of the claims office(s), as well as procedures on what should be done in a medical emergency. Please indicate what date your school-provided policy will begin coverage on.

  • FAQs

    How do I apply for the Teach USA program?

    It’s simple! Review the program Eligibility Requirements. If you meet these requirements you can fill out the free Teach USA Eligibility Check for review. Once we have finished the screening process we will contact you with your eligibility status and invite you to fill out a formal application.

    Does the school have to pay any sort of fee (for her visa, etc) to hire me?

    The school does not have to pay a fee, the participant is responsible for their program and visa fees. However, we do encourage schools to pay for their participant’s fees if funding is available and as a best practice.

    What type of salary will I earn as a J-1 Teacher?

    J-1 teachers can expect to earn the same salary as their American counterparts. Greenheart Exchange Teach USA ensures this during the application process and job offer review and outlines this requirement in our Host School Agreement.

    How do I become certified to teach in my US host state and school?

    The certification process of international teachers varies state-by-state. Most states require, at minimum, a Foreign Credential Evaluation (FCE) from a certified credential evaluator that is part of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Greenheart Exchange has a local partnership with a NACES certified evaluator, Educational Perspectives, to expedite the FCE process. Teach USA recommends that teachers research and communicate with their host school regarding the state licensing procedure and, upon receiving a job offer, begin the credentialing process as soon as possible. Information on NACES can be found here http://naces.org/. For further information regarding specific placement states, contact [email protected].

    What types of host schools am I eligible to teach at (public, charter, private, international)?

    All accredited K-12 schools are eligible to become Host Schools with the Greenheart Exchange Teach USA program, provided they are supportive of international teachers and cultural exchange. An exchange teacher may teach at the pre-kindergarten level only in a language immersion program offered as regular course of study by an accredited primary school.

    When do teaching positions begin and end in the US?

    This depends upon the state, school district and type of school in which you will teach. The US school year typically runs from August or September to May or early June.

    Can my spouse or children (dependents) accompany me to the US?

    Yes. Spouses and children under the age of 21 are eligible for a J-2 Dependent Visa sponsorship from Greenheart Exchange. Teach USA recommends that your family join you after you’ve arrived at your placement, began teaching, and secured housing. Additionally, J-2 dependent children are allowed to attend school in the US during the length of the J-1 teacher’s program.

    Can my spouse work on a J-2 visa?

    Yes. Dependens on a J-2 visa may apply for an I-765 from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to obtain an Employment Authorization Document.

    How long can I stay in the US?

    The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program generally allows for teachers to teach in the U.S. for up to 3 years. As of 2016, teachers in their third year of year participation are eligible to apply for a program extension of one to two years if mutually agreed upon with their host school. The J-1 teach category then requires that participants return to their home country for a cumulative period of 2 years to share their experience and knowledge gained in their home country, before applying for another J-1 teacher visa.

    Does the J-1 Teach program displace American teachers?

    The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is a professional exchange program that, in no way, attempts to displace American teachers. Teach USA works with schools in need of highly qualified teachers due to widespread teacher shortages in certain subject areas. J-1 teachers are then required to return to their home countries to share their experience for a minimum of 2 years.

  • Blog